Choosing a toothbrush is an important part of proper dental hygiene. There are many selections available on the market today, so it can be confusing which one to buy. Here’s a simple guide to help you find the right brush.
Main Things Your Dentist in Walnut Creek Suggests to Look for
We all know that brushing twice a day is essential, but you must have the right toothbrush to do that. While there are many aspects to the toothbrush that you want to look for, it can be broken down into a few that are very important.
- Pick a brush with a small head so it can move around easier inside your mouth.
- Use a toothbrush that has soft bristles to avoid any gum damage.
- Pick a brush that is comfortable to hold as this will help you brush longer.
What About Special Needs?
Some people experience trouble controlling hand, shoulder or arm movements. If you face similar issues, there are other options available to you to adapt your toothbrush.
- Enlarge the handle with a sponge foam.
- Attach the brush to your hand with a Velcro strap or elastic.
- Lengthen the brush with a rod or stick.
- Bend your toothbrush handle.
- Try using an electric toothbrush if you have trouble with fine movements.
Proper Care of the Toothbrush
Once you’ve picked the toothbrush you wamt to use, be sure to follow these steps to properly care for it.
- Never share your toothbrush with someone else.
- Rinse your brush thoroughly after every use and allow to air-dry.
- Store your toothbrush upright and don’t allow it to touch any others.
- Never store in a closed container.
- Replace your toothbrush every 3 to 4 months or whenever the bristles begin to look bent and worn.
Having the right toothbrush is key to good dental hygiene. Taking proper care of it is just as important. If you have questions or concerns about the toothbrush you are using, be sure to speak with your dentist in Walnut Creek. They are sure to have some recommendations on what is best for you. They can also offer other tips on how to care for your toothbrush. Remember to brush twice a day for best results.